Wheat kernels mixed with chicken soup
chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2020-05-11Print Print
Wheat kernels mixed with chicken soup is a renowned dish in Taizhou, East China's Zhejiang province. [Photo/WeChat account: meilitaizhou_]
Wheat kernels boiled with chicken soup is a renowned dish in Taizhou, East China's Zhejiang province.
The story goes that Zhao Gou, an emperor during the Song Dynasty (960-1279), once favored the dish when he fled to Zhang'an (now a sub-district in Taizhou) at the foot of Jin'ao Mountain after a war broke out.
As Zhao was on the verge of starvation, a woman surnamed Xing offered him the soup.
After the emperor returned to his palace, he longed for the dish and called for the woman to cook it again.
Now, a statue in memory of the woman is erected on Jin'ao Mountain.
The following is a brief recipe for the dish.
1. Soak the processed wheat kernels in water overnight;
2. Wash and boil them in an iron pot;
3. Remove extra water and cease heating upon hearing a crackle sound;
4. Prepare the chicken soup. The main ingredient should be a cockerel with seasonings such as ginger, garlic, mushroom, wolfberry, and yellow rice wine.
5. Mix the wheat kernels with chicken soup